Climb Out - by Jared

Thursday 22 January 2009

Alternative.....me?

I have been told that I hold some unorthodox and alternative views about faith, and that I should get blogging.

It’s that ‘alternative’ word that bothers me; doesn’t it often mean untried, quirky and for many just simply barking! Nonetheless and despite my tendency to ramble and my self-proclaimed intellectualism that is unfortunately based on a failure to make the most out of my excellent educational opportunities (adequately demonstrated by the fact that until today I have always written ‘none the less’ as three separate words), not to mention my tendency to string too many thoughts together in one sentence to the extent that even I lose the thread!, I am setting off on the ‘Bloggers’ trail with so many of you other fine folk out there!

One of my favourite sayings is:

‘The man who has stopped changing his mind has probably stopped thinking!’

One encounter (quite some years ago now) helped me to see that developing a communal theology (and on to a vibrant and shared orthopraxy) is best achieved through dialogue rather than polarising pronouncements, from dug in positions.

It was when visiting the London Mennonite’s I first experienced the practice of hands being raised when someone’s voice was not being heard, and the even more alien (to me anyway) habit of engaging the preacher in mid-flow with questions or contributions. This very collective approach made me question the preacher / congregation model I was used to. Being a born contributor I liked it, but I also made a quick mental note never to accept a speaking engagement at the Mennonite Centre.

So it is, that I have to put this rider on the continuance of this blog; I expect to be able to change my mind as often as is pragmatically required in response to the hopefully insightful comments from you my fellow bloggers – nay, companions on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment