Climb Out - by Jared

Thursday 13 January 2011

I want to be a real boy

The modern age has reduced so much to transaction and measurable outcome that it is no wonder we struggle with the concept of grace and mercy.

I am wondering that whilst we know and can quote all the relevant biblical texts unpacking the idea of God’s unconditional love, we are so conditioned that we still believe somehow we did something deserving of salvation.

This conditioning has also lead many to become confused about the nature of passages that appear to be transactional in nature, such as the famous ‘seek first the kingdom and all these things shall be added to you’ - a passage that has sadly been so misused to support the health and wealth movement.

More subtly, we have allowed this ‘transactional’ approach to cast a shadow over the very way we interact with our fellow human beings.

Exhausted, I am dragging myself away from the well-meaning but (I now believe), misguided evangelistic notions of friendship evangelism and the more recent, intentional living.

I feel that we totally misjudge the very root, the very nature, the very essence of God’s grace and mercy if every time we act in love towards our neighbour we are looking for requitement by proxy.

When will we understand that it is God who transforms us and for most of us that has taken and is taking a lifetime; God so loves the world, not for instant gratification, but because it’s the right thing to do.

Pinocchio wanted to be a real boy and in the heart of every human being is a yearning to respond to a creator God with no strings attached – God’s not going to make them dance, so why should we!

Altogether now:

I’ve got no strings to hold me down
To make me fret, to make me frown
I had strings, but now I’m free
There are no strings on me

No comments:

Post a Comment